Some information about possible changes to legislation regulating health and safety in Western Australia’s mining industry has emerged today from an interesting source, the Western Australian Legislative Assembly, Education and Health Standing Committee report on The impact of FIFO work practices on mental health.
According to the report (see page 40/41) , the Department of Mines and Petroleum has advised:
- The Minister has approved the Department to prepare a draft bill, known as the Work Health and Safety (Resources) Bill;
- The Bill will be consistent with the Western Australian WHS Bill currently out for public comment;
- A new Regulatory Impact Statement will be developed on the Resources Bill with a public consultation period from late June to mid-August 2015;
- It is hoped that the Resources Bill will be introduced to Parliament by 30 April 2016; and
- It is proposed that regulations under the Resources Bill will be gazetted by 1 December 2016.
Watch this space.